Gamoover

[move]Pour vous aussi la chipo ne sera jamais qu'un bootleg de merguez (c)sushy18 ? Alors soyez les bienvenus sur Gamoover ! [/move]

Repair of Sega 839-0213 / 839-0341 PCB

Démarré par berty, Vendredi 26 Juin 2020, 06:42:09 AM

berty

Hi All,

Apologies for not being able to write messages in French. I was attracted to the forum because of the wealth of technical expertise here. I am an Australian collector of mainly 90s dedicated arcade machines. I enjoy fixing and restoring machines. My current project is a G-Loc Deluxe with significant corrosion issues.

I've started working on the 839-0213 PCB. I need to replace all of these components which are labelled as "Z##" but I cannot figure out what they are.

I think they are either a Zener or TVS diode, but I am not sure. The end with the orange bands is connected to +5VDC and the end with the black band is connected to ground.

Can anyone help me identify what these are so I can replace the corroded ones on my board?

Cheers

zebassprophet

Good luck.
There is indeed, plenty not good repairer on this site.

Hope your cab will start again

gc339

As these things are numerous, and since they are connected between +5 volts and ground as close as possible to the logic chips, I think that they are rather decoupling capacitors.
The best solution to ensure this,  it's to desolder one of these components and measure it with a chinese multifunction component tester.

Le repos, c'est fait pour les jeunes. Ils ont toute la vie devant eux. J. Gabin/M. Audiard

Totaly FuRy

Please put better quality photo or with a closer look.

This can be inductors, ferrits or power limitation resistors.
Theses boards seems to be part of Power Drift DX drive board.

Fred G5

I'm agree with gc339, I think that are tubular ceramique capacitors.
They are use for decoupling the power supply from the logical chips

That is an uncommon package for capacitor but whe can find this in some arcade or pinball board
Flipper: DE "Laser War"- WMS "F14-Tomcat"- GTB " Hollywood Heat" - Bally "Black Pyramid"
Borne: Konami "Lethal Enforcers" - New Game "N'Styl"- René Pierre 1982 - Jeutel Neo Geo 16/9 - Simulateur Twin Konami "Midnight Run Road Fighter 2"
Jeu/Système de jeu: 53 PCB Jamma, 7 cartouches MVS, slot Neo-Geo MV-1T, MV-2F, MV-4F, MV-6F
Console: Nintendo SNES 2CHIP, SNES 1CHIP-02 + 43 jeux

Totaly FuRy

I was on mobile, so the photo was bad looking.

What is the symbole on the silk ?

At first it's look like a diode, maybe a zener diode that will match the Zxx labelling ?

Take a look at the last photo of this thread:
https://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=26958.0

berty

Here is a picture of the PCB at location Z24.

@gc339 - thank you for the suggestion. I just bought one of those Chinese multifunction testers.

Fred G5

The symbol on the PCB look like a TVS biderectional diode, but component istself look like an axial ceramique capacitor??

The only way the make light on this problem is to test the component with a component testeur or multimeter
Flipper: DE "Laser War"- WMS "F14-Tomcat"- GTB " Hollywood Heat" - Bally "Black Pyramid"
Borne: Konami "Lethal Enforcers" - New Game "N'Styl"- René Pierre 1982 - Jeutel Neo Geo 16/9 - Simulateur Twin Konami "Midnight Run Road Fighter 2"
Jeu/Système de jeu: 53 PCB Jamma, 7 cartouches MVS, slot Neo-Geo MV-1T, MV-2F, MV-4F, MV-6F

Totaly FuRy

I think these are "DIAC" biderectional zener diodes, the main goal is to not power circuits if the tension is not above 33V (maybe 3,3V?). This board should drive motors so 33V look legit

Edit: schematics show that motor power is 24 so 33 does not look possible.
https://www.arcade-museum.com/manuals-videogames/S/Sega%20power%20drift%20FINAL.pdf

berty

I've ran the component through two different component testers. Both testers read the component as a 33nf Capacitor! Does this sound right to people?

Fred G5

My first idea was good, no more doubts possible, the components are axial ceramic capacitors of 33nf

The color code match to the reading  3Xorange +1X black = 33X1nF +/-20%

Totaly FuRy

Citation de: Fred G5 le Lundi 06 Juillet 2020, 12:20:33 PM
My first idea was good, no more doubts possible, the components are axial ceramic capacitors of 33nf

The color code match to the reading  3Xorange +1X black = 33X1nF +/-20%

^-^ good to know

berty

Hi all - I'm having issues finding an exact replacement for the 33nf axial ceramic capacitor. I was able to source some film capacitors but they are too large.

I am wondering if I can use something like what is shown below;
https://www.jaycar.com.au/33nf-50vdc-ceramic-capacitors-pack-of-2/p/RC5354