Gamoover

[move]Vous aimez la série Ricky la belle vie, Julio Iglésias ou l'émission Kohlanta ? Alors soyez les bienvenus sur Gamoover ! [/move]

Sega G-loc deluxe motor power supply

Démarré par perjmolsen, Mardi 03 Janvier 2017, 13:45:38 PM

perjmolsen

Hi

Just an update of repairing my 2nd PCB -

I have all the required voltages - but no movement at all when it is mounted in Gloc.
Therefore the problem must be in the control logic part, and having no oscilloscope and do know how to use it - then i have tried to find another way to diagnose the no movement issue.

I have tried to measure  the PC910's on the PCB,  by measuring ohm,s between the annode (leg2) and cathode (leg3)

The following PC910,s i am unable to measure any ohms between PC2,PC3,PC4

So i have ordered some new from this seller
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10PCS-PC910-DIP8/32407984936.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.1.qwq8KF&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_433_434_10136_10137_10138_10060_10062_10056_10055_10054_302_122_10059_10099_10103_10102_10096_10052_10053_10050_10107_10051_10106_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10110_10111_10112_10113_10114_10037_10078_10079_10077_10073_10070_10122_10123_10126_6000000_10124-10037_10077,searchweb201603_7,afswitch_1,ppcSwitch_5,single_sort_0_default&btsid=a1db6fc0-cae5-44ab-ab65-dfbdef414702&algo_expid=ae35951f-36ee-4d26-8c44-48cd8fa1062e-0&algo_pvid=ae35951f-36ee-4d26-8c44-48cd8fa1062e

I hope that brings me closer to movement :)

Do i have overlooked something else? (what says GC339?)    ^-

Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

Hmm... I wonder if GC339 has left the planet  :(

I do not hope that my questions has scared him  :-[

I need his expert advice  :D

Kind regards
Per
Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

Hi

A small update

Second powersupply(the one where all the volts are OK):

I have changed the three PC910 optocuplers and still bo movement when i mount it in the g-loc. (so i do not think that the old ones where defective at all)

If i make a motor test then there is some static on the screen and a small humm but no movement at all.
I have also changed the two caps at C36 and C18

Does anybody have expirenced the same when they had restored a powersupply?

First powersupply (the one where I burned the L2 transformer):
I have made a deal at a chineese company at alibaba.com, I have send the defective L2 transformer, PC2019 to china and they have made 10 new L2 transformers and shiped them yesterday, only 17 dollars, so hopefully when they arive i can get to work on that powersupply also.
Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

Hi

Whuu  :-)= A GIANT step for me!

I finally got some movement, I have changed ZD6 and ZD7 with some new 16V zener diode (the old ones where shorted)

Now i have movement, but it stays in upright position in that side where i have mounted my repaired powersupply. The other side does self test ok up and then down.

I have checked that the switches are OK - also if i switch the powersupplys the problem moves to the other side.

So there must be something that controls down movement in the powersupply... but where  :-\
Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

YES! AT LAST!!!  :-)= :-)=

ZD11 where the reason for the missing down movement! -> It where shorted!
I changed that to a new one, and FINALLY after nearly 3 years without movement IT MOOVES!! ITS ALIVE!!!  ^-

Check it out here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo8k730kgn03095/Gloc_working_2017mp4.mp4?dl=0

The funny thing is that the power supply that i have rebuild is faster in movement than the other one, but you do not notice it when the game plays, only in test mode.

--
Then i just wait for the Chinese to send me some new L2 transformers.. then i might also be able to rebuild the first power supply where i fried the L2 transformer.. then if i am so lucky i have a repaired spare  8)
Kind regards
Per

Vieille_Loutre

great job ! :) it's really beautiful to see a such amazing cab comming back to life... and your cab looks great! show us more! :p

perjmolsen

Hi

Thanks for the nice words, i will find some pictures of the restoration process,and post them.
If someone also need to replace the L2 transformer on the PCB, then here is the specification for it.

I am waiting for 10 L2 transformers to arrive from china, then i will attack the two last power supplys that i have, hopefuly i can restore them also, now i have a better understanding of that electronics ( I hope)  :D or just pure luck

The spec document can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhiun74mj9whwna/K352%2BPQ20169Y17%20Mingyuda.pdf?dl=0

Kind regards
Per

Little_Rabbit

Hi,

Thanks for sharing with us your success and your joy ! :)

It's really great to see such a kind of simulator working again  ^-^ !

Thanks also for your offer about the extra inductors L2 !
Recherche bornes dédiées ou PCB originaux: Miss Pacman, Dig Dug, Galaga, Mappy, Asteroids, Battlezone, Missile Command, Tempest, Star Wars, Donkey Kong (+ Jr), Mario Bros, Moon Patrol, Defender, Joust, Frogger, Gyruss, Pooyan, Space Tactics, Zaxxon, etc. Flip : Gottlieb des années 80 (Spirit, Amazon Hunt, ...), Baby Pac Man. Divers :  Ice Cold Beer => Trois fois rien quoi ! :D
Ma séance sur le divan : c'est grave Docteur ? :-\
Ma gaming room, ma storage room

perjmolsen

Thanks - but....

yesterday when i where playing.. suddenly a burning smell

It seems that it is due to a bad connection

But i have no 5V at IC2, leg 8 - I have changed the L7805 at IC1. And there is 7V at D3
All the other volts are present, I have to dig into it...

UPDATE: I think that i have traced it to that the "upper" connection on IC1 at the middle leg is not connected - this is the input from D3... so therefore no 5V output.
Ill keep you updated when i get it fixed :)
Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

HI

An update - it where just some bad connections, now 5V are present - and i have re tested all the other volts one more time. Tested in the Gloc and everything works  :-)=

Hopefully it stays that this time :)
Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

Whuu..

Just an update

I just had recived the 10 L2 transformers from china :)

Now i can get to work restoring my last two powersupplys so if all goes well i have two spares  ^-

Kind regards
Per

corner-tech

Hello there.
I'm new to this forum, and I've been following the adventures of repairing the Sega motor controller with great interest. You all seem to be the only people on Earth who are really serious about keeping these machines alive - congratulations.
I'm a technician in Australia and I've been working on repairing one of these units.
The chopper FET (Q1) shorted and burned the PCB track between pin 6 and the emitter of Q2. Possibly Q2 failed and then killed Q2. Many other things burned which is not too bad, and I can replace. But my worst fears have been realized: The little L2 transformer is dead. The winding between pins 1 and 6 is open.
Did perjmolsen ever try one of the China re-build transformers with success ? I Would like to buy 2 of them.

Thank you in advance.
Pinball:
Black Knight by Williams (2 off) 1980
High Flyer by Bally 1977 (Electromechanical bingo machine)
Video:
Space War by Vectorbeam 1977

perjmolsen

HI

Yes I got some L2 transformers from China - but the first ones I ordered i only had around 12V at the testpoints where i needed to have 15V.
All the other voltages where fine, just the 15V where around 11-12V and i do not now if the 15V is needed...maybe GC339 can confirm is 15V i is needed, or 12V is fine?

So I had order some more from china, but i have not tested them yet, so I do not know if they are OK.

I will send you two completely free, if you just pay for the shipping. ^-

Just send me a PM with your address, and i will try to figure out what the shipping cost could be.
I hope that you get your G-loc up and running - I would like to see some pictures of the restoration process. :)
Kind regards
Per

perjmolsen

Just some tips - my last restore (https://www.gamoover.net/Forums/index.php?topic=40992.0)

I have put some (TO-220 Heat Sink) on the Q20 and Q22 (K1250)

I think the missing cooling causes them to blow up.
So get some heat sinks and termal grease and mount them  ^-^

Also if you change the PC910 - then get some DIP8 sockets, and put the new PC910 chips in sockets, then they are easier to change next time.
(hopefully there will be no next time) :)

And my G-loc still runs  ^-^
A 2019 video of my gameroom -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBDr0JaW7uw&t=4s
Kind regards
Per

corner-tech

Hey that's a nice game room !

My boards already have aluminium heatsink tabs bolted to Q20 and Q22   :D

While I'm waiting for the L2 transformer from perjmolsen, I was trying to understand what went wrong in the first place.
He's how I see it: TR1 (triac) failed and put 340v on its gate, this caused the 78L05 to short and blow out IC2 (dual opamp), D3, C13, Q1, D5, ZD1, Q2, ZD2 and L2, in that order !  Of course I'll never be certain, but my theory seems to match the circuit layout for which I congratulate gc339 - thank you for your fine work  ^-

Speaking of circuit layout, I found a small error. gc339 has drawn R23 and C15 in parallel when they are in series (at least on the 2 boards I'm looking at). Note that the layout shows another C15 across D6: It is actually C16.
Also the collector of PC1 was incorrectly drawn connected to the node of R22, Q2 and R27. The collector of PC1 is actually connected to the node of ZD2 (cathode), R23 and pin 1 of L2.
Similar to this layout extract:

It's hard to see, but note the collector of PC1 connects to the node of the zener, transformer, and resistor. The emitter of PC1 goes through a diode to the base of the transistor.

Here is my corrected version of gc339's  low voltage power supply:

Note that the capacitor across D6 is marked as C15 - it should be C16.
I think also that the markings for the beginnings of each winding of L2 is incorrect: I believe the dot shown is indicating the END of each winding.
Pinball:
Black Knight by Williams (2 off) 1980
High Flyer by Bally 1977 (Electromechanical bingo machine)
Video:
Space War by Vectorbeam 1977

Little_Rabbit

Hi,

Citation de: perjmolsen le Mercredi 20 Février 2019, 13:44:29 PM
A 2019 video of my gameroom ->

Wow !! Your gameroom is fantastic Per !!  :o

Pinballs, dedicated cabs, including sitdown race cabs, a cocktail table, a pool table, pachislots, etc !

It's so varied and so well arranged ! Your bar corner and its jukebox is awesome too ! ^-^

You must be very proud and vey happy with such a nice gameroom : a complete success !  :-)=

Recherche bornes dédiées ou PCB originaux: Miss Pacman, Dig Dug, Galaga, Mappy, Asteroids, Battlezone, Missile Command, Tempest, Star Wars, Donkey Kong (+ Jr), Mario Bros, Moon Patrol, Defender, Joust, Frogger, Gyruss, Pooyan, Space Tactics, Zaxxon, etc. Flip : Gottlieb des années 80 (Spirit, Amazon Hunt, ...), Baby Pac Man. Divers :  Ice Cold Beer => Trois fois rien quoi ! :D
Ma séance sur le divan : c'est grave Docteur ? :-\
Ma gaming room, ma storage room